MDL Superior 10″ Long Clutch Set
Four-speed and T5 conversions & are perfect for those using the stock 289/302 10″ long pattern flywheels looking for high-performance street performance and smooth engagement.
- Diaphragm pressure plate with 3-1/8″ spacing using 5/16″ pressure plate bolts
- The clutch disk has a true full Kevlar facing on the pressure plate side for smooth engagement for superior drivability and twice the service life of a stock Organic facing.
- Kevlar on the flywheel side & Ceramic on the other.
- Carrier has a fully sprung hub for dampening and a marcel spring for full clutch control
- Ford 10 spline 1-1/16″ hub.
- a Mechanical Throw-out bearing
- pilot bushing
- alignment tool.
A little info on Ceramic & Metallic friction surface application
Ceramic or bronze friction material is for higher horsepower applications, quicker shifts wanted in road racing, and a hard-hitting bite for launching for drag racing. The other application for these surfaces is when going to a larger diameter clutch and/or heavier pressure plate is not an option.
Ceramics and semi-metallics have a higher ‘coefficient of friction than the other materials MDL offers, so it bites harder and holds more power, given the same clamping force. These surfaces are desired in racing applications for how quickly they engage, as well as for handling extreme heat and abuse. MDL ceramics have iron pieces in them that create more friction as the material gets hotter.
For more street-oriented applications, we would use ceramics when we need higher holding power but can’t fit a larger diameter disk (more surface area = more holding power).
If you can’t go to a pressure plate with a higher clamp load, then Ceramic metallic surfaces are a good way to go. As an example, smaller engines make good power but are limited to sub 10″ disk size.
The 3 attributes that determine the torque rating of a clutch are:
- Surface area (disk size)
- Coefficient of friction (Kevlar, organic, ceramic)
- Clamping force of the pressure plate.
To get higher torque handling ratings, we must increase at least one of those 3.
All MDL clutches are hand-assembled In-house to ensure quality and flawless operation before they are shipped.
So you receive a ready-to-install Premium piece right out of the box backed by a 1-year defect warranty.