Put a T5 in your Classic Mustang along with clutch cable, conversion of automatic or manual transmission.  We specialize in T5 & Tremec  five speed conversions and rebuild and repair.


"Five/Six Speed Conversion Specialists"


 Main Menu


  |  Home  |  FAQ  |  About Us  |  Contact Us  |

  Customer Service
  Rebuild Services
  Product Catalog
  Tech Alley


We Accept VISA
We Accept Master Card
We Accept Discover
We ship with UPS

When you are ready to order review our ordering options in Customer Service then check out the Product Catalog. 
Modern Driveline is a TREMEC Elite Distributor
Full Service authorized TREMEC Elite Dealer including repair center and Warranty repair.  

Have Questions? Send us an email with your details. 
or Call us at
Mountain Time



SEMA Member


  • How many shift positions does a TKO have?

    3550/TKO's have only three. TKO500/TKO600 have four positions.


  • Is the mounting points and overall size of new TKO-500 and TKO-600 different from the 3550 and TKO?

    No they are the same. The new TK0-500/600 have a new shift location for vintage GM and additional electronic speedometer hookup on the passenger side of the tailshaft housing.


  • What is a TREMEC 3550-II or TKO-II series transmission?

    Series II TREMEC's are .83 over drive geared transmissions best suited for road racing when a tall over drive is not needed. These transmissions have been replaced by TKO600RR.


  • Which type of oil is used in a TREMEC 3550 or TKO?

    GM Syncromesh only.


  • Is there a TREMEC TKO that will replace a Muncie without adapter plates or bellhousing swap?

    Yes, a GM TKO. It come's in both TKO-500 and TKO-600. The TKO-500 has a 3.27 first while the TKO-600 has a 2.87 first gear ratio. There are two overdrive ratio's available, .68 and .82. It has the GM Muncie bolt pattern and GM input shaft. The speedometer cable drive requires an adapter we offer. Call us for details.


  • Is there a TREMEC TKO that will replace a Ford 3 speed or 4 speed toploader?

    Yes, a shortened input shaft TREMEC 3550 or TKO-500. If you are willing to change the clutch to a 26 spline, a TKO or TKO-600 with a shortened input shaft can be used. A second option is to use a spacer plate to make up the difference in length of the TKO's.


  • I was considering swapping a big block in place of a small block in a 1968 mustang. The car has a C-4 now. Do you have a gearbox that will take the torque and a conversion kit?

    Yes - What you will need is a TREMEC TKO, TKO-500, or TKO-600 with a shortened input shaft to bolt to a stock bell housing or aftermarket scattershield. We now offer cable operated big block scattershields so that you can take advantage of the smooth operatng clutch cable kits we offer.


  • Do we offer a aftermarket mid shift kit for TREMEC 3550/TKOs and the new Tremec TKO-500/TKO-600?

    Yes we do. We have kits for both the older 3550/TKO's and the new TKO-500/600's . The kits come with a rear position cover and is a much better choice over the TREMEC stock offering for the same money.


  • Can I install a TREMEC TKO into a 65-66 Mustang without cutting the floor to get the proper drive angle?

    No, the TREMEC 3550 and TKO are much too tall in the main case and needs more room to achieve the correct drive angle. If the transmission is allowed to hang down, the case is exposed to road clearance hazards and will cause vibration, especially when decelerating. To properly install a TREMEC 3550 or TKO into a 65-66 mustang, the floor trans tunnel should be raised about 1.5.


  • Can a shifter be installed where the other two inspection covers are now?

    Yes, there are two kits available. Mid and front position. Note, the factory front shift is obsolete. We are working towards an aftermarket replacement which should be available towards the end of 2011.


  [ Home ]   [ About ]   [Contact ]

View our privacy statement

Copyright 2001- 2013, Bruce Couture's Modern Driveline Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Last edited: 2013-01-22 08:55