Tremec Transmission Unboxing & Review
Modern DriveLine Supplement
Before installing your new Tremec transmission
Perform the following:
– On all 31-spline transmissions (TKO, TKX, all types of T56, Magnum, Magnum-F & Magnum XL) remove the shipping plug. –
- Remove by grabbing the shipping plug with a regular pair of pliers. Do not use needle-nose pliers, you need a good grip on this plug.
The plug gets stuck to the splines. Reach under the environmental lip of the output shaft seal with your pliers.
FIRMLY pull on the seal a little bit, then move your pliers to the opposite side and pull on the seal a little bit. Walk the seal out.
- On 28-spline transmissions do nothing. The seal will push in when the slip yoke is installed.
– Shift your transmission thru every gear before you install the transmission.
- This means temporarily attaching the shift lever and shifting it into first gear then rotating the input shaft at least one full turn in each direction. Repeat for each gear.
- DO NOT attempt to shift the transmission with the Shipping Plug still installed (31-spline).
- The 28-spline shipping plug will have some resistance but will still spin.
NOTE: All Tremec 6-speeds will not go into reverse gear doing this process unless the solenoid is energized. If you can get into all forward gears… reverse will not be an issue so you do not need to check it.
The TKX model transmissions the rails can come out of alignment during shipping.
If this happens you will not be able to shift the transmission.
It will only rotate in one gear. Remove the 4-bolt cover in front of the extension housing. Inside you will see 3 lugs. The Left and right lugs are the same, the center lug is skinny.
Use a screwdriver to pry the misaligned lug into position. It should move easily and click into position.
Perform the shifting operation noted above and then re-install the 4-bolt cover.
T-5 transmissions offered by Modern Driveline will have TWO different fasteners in the front of the case cover
( these do not overhang the front edge. )
This exists to eliminate interferences for certain bell housings and adapters.
All 5-speed bearing retainers should be inspected for excess sealant.
ANY excess sealant must be removed (scraped or cut) from the bearing retainer edge and front of the case cover to prevent bell housing misalignment issues.
** Not removing excess sealant could damage the transmission case during installation. **
Do’s and Don’ts
- DO NOT spray any transmission with solvents to clean it. – It WILL compromise the seal integrity.
– Always apply cleaners to a rag first then wipe. – Do not allow puddling to occur.
- You may partially re-install the 31-spline shipping plug
– to prefill the transmission with oil and keep contaminants from entering.
- Do not start your vehicle until the correct oil capacity has been installed in the transmission.
- Do not start your vehicle with the shipping plug installed at the seal location.
– It will burn up the seal.