For the most economical overdrive transmission for your ride, pick from either the TKO or T5 product line.
For high horsepower requirements and big block applications (high torque), you want the TKO.
For lower horsepower (<450) the T5 is the most economical solution.
Need help deciding? Give us a call at 208-453-9800.
The aftermarket TREMEC T-5 5-Speed with a 2.95 first and .63 overdrive.
This transmission safely handles 330 ft/lbs of torque and is suitable for 450 hp streetcars.
It is a direct replacement in 1979-1993 V8 Mustangs and is ideal behind any small-block Ford engine.
– For 1994-1995 Mustangs see part number MD-552-0251-94 for a compatible transmission.
- Steel front bearing retainer
- Carbon fiber 3-4 Syncro rings
- Improved synchronizers and bearings
- Cobra style pocket bearing
- Forward Gears – 5
- Shifter Positions – 3
- 7 tooth speedo gear
- Torque Capacity Up to 300 lb-ft. (conservative rating, Streetcar to 450hp OK)
- Max Rated RPM – 6700
- Overdrive – Single
- Input Splines – 10
- Output Splines – 27
- Release Type – Mechanical /1
- Speedo Output – Mechanical
- Dry Weight – 75 lbs / 34 kg
- Fluid Capacity – 2.8 qt / 2.7 ltr2
Alternate Part Numbers
- TREMEC – 1352-249, 1352-251
- Ford Racing – M-7003-Z
Direct Replacement in:
- 1982-1993 Ford Mustang
The T5z is the best transmission for retrofits of 4 speed or automatics in classic cars and hotrods with a small block. Extremely versatile and usable in street usage under 450 horsepower.
The Super Duty T5 is a step up from the T5’s used in the 1985-93 Mustangs. The gear sets in the earlier t5’s were built with a 3.35 first gear with a .68 overdrive.
The Super Duty T5 is built with a 2.95 first and a .63 overdrive for a more fuel-efficient experience as well as more torque handling than its former counterparts.
This transmission is built specifically for the aftermarket and is sold through the TREMEC dealer network, as well as, Ford Racing.