TREMEC T5z Super Duty 1352-0251
5-speed Transmission 2.95 first with .63 Single Overdrive
The smallest and lightest of the Tremec transmission line. Don’t let the size fool you, this T5 transmission can hold its own and fits where others cannot.
The long history of the T5 speaks volumes about its longevity and versatility.
The aftermarket TREMEC T5 5-Speed with a 2.95:1 first and .63:1 overdrive.
This transmission safely handles 330 ft/lbs of torque and is suitable for 450 hp streetcars on DOT-approved tires.
It is a direct replacement for 1983-1993 V8 Mustangs and is ideal behind any small-block Ford engine or upgrade for inline-four and six-cylinder engines.
Features & Benefits:
- Torque rating 330 ft/lbs (conservative rating, street car to 450hp is OK)
- Gear Ratios 2.95, 1.94, 1.34, 1, .63 OD Rev 2.76
- Steel front bearing retainer
- Cobra style pocket bearing
- Carbon fiber 1,2,3,4 synchro rings
- World Class (tapered carrier bearings, main needle bearings)
- 10 spline input shaft
- 28 spline output shaft
- 7-tooth speedo drive gear (Optional 6 or 8-tooth available)
- Optional .73:1 Overdrive ratio available
- Required Oil Type = 2.75 quarts of ATF Dextron III
- Increase in fuel economy with overdrive.
- Lower RPM’s for more drive-ability and a much quieter in-car feeling.
- Reduce wear on your engine & drive-train parts
- Reduce engine temperatures, promoting a longer-lasting engine.
For 1994-1995 5.0L V8 Mustangs or 94-98 3.8L V6 Mustangs see part number MD-552-0251-94 with the SN95 longer input shaft
Alternate Part Numbers
- TREMEC – 1352-249, 1352-251
- Ford Racing – M-7003-Z
Direct Replacement in:
- 1983-1993 5.0L Mustang
The T5z is the best transmission for retrofits of 4-speed or automatics in classic cars and hotrods with a small block. Extremely versatile and usable in street usage under 450 horsepower.
The Super Duty T5 is a step up from the T5s used in the 1983-93 Mustangs. ’83 and ’84 Mustangs were equipped with Non World Class T5 with 2.95:1 first with a .63:1 od.
1985-93 V8 Mustang World Class T5 was built with a 3.35 first gear with a .68 overdrive.
The Super Duty T5 (Z spec) is built with a 2.95 first and a .63 overdrive for increased torque rating and demands motorsports.
This transmission is built specifically for the aftermarket and is sold through the TREMEC dealer network, as well as, Ford Racing.
Experience the MDL difference:
When you purchase a complete MDL Conversion Package
- We extend the manufacturer’s warranty by an extra year… with a 1-year grace period.
- We have the best in the industry customer service.
- We provide lifetime technical support to all packages.
If you need a transmission upgrade to get better performance and better fuel economy.
MDL has all of the Mustang Transmission parts you need, including shifters, flywheels, clutch cables, clutch kits, and more, for your new manual transmission.
In its rich 40+ year history, the T5 has seen a variety of uses and numerous upgrades. Today, it continues to serve as a staple of the hot rod community in the popular “Fox body” Ford Mustang configuration.
Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, the T5 is the smoothest-shifting, most reliable overdrive manual transmission for lightweight or moderate horsepower applications available anywhere…
making any hot rod, street rod, or kit car more enjoyable and economical to drive.
- Article: The Many Faces of the T5 – A History of the T5
- More Information on T5’s
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the T5 five-speed