Tremec’s new powerhouse
With a sleek all-new case.
TREMEC TKX a 5-speed RWD manual transmission developed solely for the aftermarket.
For the development of the new transmission, TREMEC engineers took a forward-looking approach to find the best and most efficient solution. This included universal packaging, excellent shifting performance, and extreme durability.
The result is superior shift-ability with smooth shifts at high RPMs using multi-cone synchronizers and hybrid synchronizer rings. At the same time, noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) performance are optimized with a gear layout to best control stress levels, while providing structural stiffness with a ribbed, 3-piece aluminum housing.
Durability is further optimized with oversized gear widths, gaskets at all flanges, and caged needle bearings in all gear positions.
Whether restoring or upgrading a classic muscle car or a 1930s-era roadster coupe, the new TREMEC TKX 5-speed RWD manual transmission delivers a top-quality drivetrain solution.
Click here to view YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOqkR3K-Oz8
the TKX offers an impressive array of flexible features.
- An all-new end loading design.
- End loading design eliminates top cover & provides superior strength
- A rounded low-profile case for excellent tunnel clearance
- 8000 RPM shifting & 600lbs/ft. torque capacity
- Ford & GM Bellhousing pattern & input configurations
- Rear main-shaft support bushing moved from tail closer to the gearbox provides better support.
- New smaller stamped steel mid-position cover with 4 M6 x 18 countersunk socket screws.
- Sintered carbon + bronze hybrid synchro rings with a non-leaning edge profile like the T56 Magnum.
- New neutral switch location on the right side of the TKX with a plunger pin to connect with the rail selector.
- Wider gear faces for easier torque handling.
- Electric and traditional cable drive and analog OSS speedo sensors, Digital VSS available.
- Multiple shifter locations.
Far and away, the most versatile 5-speed on the market.
TREMEC’s TKX the latest innovation to the series of 5-speed transmissions that began with its successful TKO in the 5-liter Mustang movement and has since been fitted into nearly every rear-wheel drive performance application imaginable.
Serving up 600 lb-ft of torque capacity, along with up to 8000 RPM confidence-inspiring shifts and fuel-saving overdrive.
The TKX offers an ideal blend of brute strength and street manners – which may be why its original design TKO series manual transmissions are behind more boulevard-bruising street machines and sportsman race victories than all of its competitors combined.
It’s the take no prisoners gearbox that started a revolution and has now evolved into what is TKX.
TKX is the next generation in five speeds, with its ALL NEW End Loading Design which provides such advantages as a slimmer case design for great tunnel clearance, increased case strength, and fewer case seams.
All this and 8000 RPM shifting & 600lbs/ft. torque capacity
– For wide-ratio Transmission please See MD-501-18085 – OR – MD-501-18083 for a 10-spline version
- All new Slim End loading case designed for superior strength and greater tunnel clearance.
- Sintered carbon/bronze-Hybrid triple cone synchros with a non-leading tooth profile
- Close gear ratio (2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00, .68) high-performance applications Rated at 600+ft/lbs
- Utilizes Ford TKO bolt pattern 7.2″ length input shaft (with a short input shaft option can be bolt to a Ford close pattern 3-4 speed bellhousings )
- 26-spline input shaft with a 31 spline output shaft for added strength.
- Ford .670 pilot tip and 1.430″ OD throwout bearing guild tube.
- Robust design with an internal 3-rail shift system & steel shift forks.
- All gears & shafts are made from special grade steel (ASTM 4615) providing increased torque carrying capacity.
- Single-piece countershaft provides an increased torque carrying capacity
- Tapered roller bearings on input, output, and counter shafts improve performance (reduced noise factor) with caged needle bearing on the main shaft.
- Equipped with a high-performance short-throw billet aluminum shifter that isolates road noise, while providing clean crisp shifts.
(Optional offset MDL shifter available for even more custom fit)
- New smaller mid-position shifter mounting base reduced footprint
- Built-in reverse light switch on the left side
- Cruise control safety switch location on the right side of the TKX.
- The rear main-shaft support bushing moved from the tail closer to the gearbox provides better support.
- All mating surfaces are sealed with gaskets
If you are making over 400 hp and need an update from your four-speed this is the transmission for you.
TKX offers even more:
- Three shifter locations are standard. (For the Mid position, an additional kit is required)
- Ford Mechanical 7 tooth speedometer cable drive gear
- OSS two-wire Analog speedometer sensor built-in.
- Reduce engine rpm to a level that makes it fun to drive besides enhancing fuel efficiency.
For all Tremec TKX 5-Speed models, the recommended oils are
Amzoil ATF or Synchromesh
Tremec High-Performance manual transmission Fluid (HP-MTF)
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.
Fluid capacity is 2.7 quarts / 2.6 Liters.
|FORD||Gear Ratios||Spline count|
Fits GM A-Bodies without tunnel modification – Chevelle / GTO / Cutlass / Nova /
ALL NEW Endloading design which means, Greater Strength, Eliminates leaks