TREMEC TR3550 5 Speed overdrive transmission was developed to provide great torque capacity and is ideal for specialty sports cars equipped with high torque engines.
The TREMEC TR3550 5 Speed was both a product and a product line. The product line encompassed the 3550 and TKO models. Each model had two versions, One being a 0.68 overdrive and the other being a 0.8 overdrive. The difference between the two models was in the gear ratios and the input shaft spline count,. as explained below.
In 2004 the 3550 and TKO were replaced by the TKO-500/600 product line.
Today the TREMEC TR3550 5 Speed and TKO is only available as a used or rebuilt unit.
Service parts and upgrades are available such as carbon fiber synchro rings and steel forks.
Features & Benefits:
- Five forward speeds with 5th gear overdrive provides extended ratio coverage, lowering engine RPM’s and improving fuel economy. (Available in .68 or .82 overdrive ratio)
- Tapered roller bearings on input, output and counter shafts increase torque capacity.
- Massive 83 mm center distance from mainshaft to countershaft allows for the largest most durable gear sizes.
- Specially designed aluminum die cast housings provides optimum strength-to-weight ratio.
- Steel input shaft retainer enhances durability.
- TKO models are offered with upgraded steel on select gearing, delivering maximum torque capacity.
- Internal multi-rail shift linkage system provides robust, positive shifting.
- Fifth speed synchronizer located on countershaft reduces gear rattle and shift effort.
- 10 Spline input shaft (3550) or 26 spline (TKO)
- Multiple shift lever locations available:
- Rear – standard on all TR-3550 transmissions – ideal for Mustang applications
- Mid-shift location – ideal for pick-up truck retrofits
- Front-shift location – allows retrofits of custom-made cars and other Hot-Rod applications
Transmission in need of Repair?
We have parts and know-how to rebuild and repair Borg Warner / TREMEC T5, T45, T56, TREMEC 3550/3550-II, TKO/TKO-II, TKO500 and TKO600 and T56’s.
Modern Driveline provides the best quality in rebuild services and parts. We rebuild and repair Borg Warner T5, T45, T56, TREMEC 3550’s, and TKO’s. A standard rebuild will replace worn synchro’s, bearings and seals. The transmission is completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected and re-assembled. Any items found damaged, like gears, will be replaced upon customer approval. Gear ratios can be changed to match the customers request.
OEM bearing, bushing, seals, shift pads
Springs, synchros, small parts kit
Cases are completely cleaned, deburred and inspected
All gears and shafts are inspected. Customer notified if these parts are in need of replacement.
Bearings are shimmed with a slight pre-load
All rebuilds are warranted for 6 months on workmanship (no gear breakage)
Options & Upgrades
Ask about available options and upgrades for your transmission… 208-453-9800
Rebuilt transmissions come with a full 6 month warranty against defects in workmanship. Warranty does not include gear breakage.
- Rebuild Pricing
Below pricing is average labor and basic parts. Replacement of damaged gears or changes to gear ratio’s is extra. Please send us your details so we can quote you an estimate. (prices subject to change)
- T5 WC – $600; T5 5-speed overdrive manual transmission, aftermarket Ford Fox-body style.
- T5 NWC – $500
- TREMEC 3550 / TKO – $850
- T45 – $600
- 3650 – $700
- T56 (Non-Magnum or XL – $750
- T56 Magnum – $400
Shipping charges are the customers responsibility, both directions.
Give us a call (208-453-9800) and we’ll quote you costs and lead time.
- Doing your own rebuild? Need parts?
We stock most parts and rebuild kits. Give us a call with your needs.