It’s a gorgeous summer day in suburban Boise, Idaho where we’re installing a TREMEC T5 five-speed transmission in the “Rebuilding Generations” ’71 Mustang convertible along with a Modern Driveline cable clutch upgrade for smooth clutching and shifting.
The TREMEC T5 from Modern Driveline, which has been in continuous production since the early 1980s, maintains its great reputation as a lightweight, easy to shift, durable five-speed overdrive transmission.
At Modern Driveline, we’re well known for great classic Mustang and Cougar five-speed swap packages where all you need is the desire, energy, and a weekend to get the job done. You can go from straight drive automatic or stick to efficient overdrive in the time it would take you to mow and trim the yard over a weekend. If you get hung up with a technical problem we’re here to help you through it with close, personalized tech support from enthusiasts who understand your challenges because we’ve been there ourselves. We own and drive the great performance cars you’re passionate about.
It’s a gorgeous summer day in suburban Boise, Idaho where we’re installing a TREMEC T5 five-speed transmission in the “Rebuilding Generations” ’71 Mustang convertible along with a Modern Driveline cable clutch upgrade for smooth clutching and shifting. The TREMEC T5 from Modern Driveline, which has been in continuous production since the early 1980s, maintains its great reputation as a lightweight, easy to shift, durable five-speed overdrive transmission. The real beauty of the T5 is size and weight. It fits the classics and it also fits the late-model Fox body and SN-95 Mustangs.
Let’s get started.
Modern Driveline T5 Quick Tech
Introduced in the early 1980’s the T-5 has evolved to become an extremely versatile 5-speed that fits nearly every application imaginable. In its more than three decade history of great overdrive performance, the TREMEC T5 has been installed as original equipment in a variety of vehicles, from pick-up trucks and SUV’s to the fun to drive 1979-95 5.0L High Output Mustang. Today, the T5 still enjoys service as an original equipment unit in many applications around the world while remaining popular in the performance aftermarket. Dollar-for-dollar, pound-for-pound, the T5 is the smoothest-shifting, and most reliable five-speed manual transmission in the world.
Easily accepting up to 300 lb-ft of torque capacity, the TREMEC T5 is not only durable, but offers easy operation and a very efficient overdrive making any vintage or late-model Ford great fun to drive with fuel to spare when the drive is over.
T5 Performance Facts
- Just 75 pounds dry
- 300 ft/lb Torque Capacity
- Buttery smooth shift quality
- Most popular light duty five-speed in the world
- Main/Countershaft Distance – 77 mm
- Overdrive in fifth gear for fuel economy and less wear
- Aluminum die cast housings for reduced weight
- Tapered roller bearings on main and countershafts reduce noise and improve durability
- Needle bearing under 1st through 4th gears improve high speed performance and reduce shift effort
- Advanced synchronizer technology
- Powdered steel core blocker rings
- Engineered friction materials for improved durability
- Double cone design for lower shift effort
- Patented strut-type design for improved durability
- Sliding idler reverse for simple, reliable design
- Internal, single-rail shift system
- Reverse brake option allows immediate shift into reverse without clashing
- Multiple shift lever locations
- Adaptable to 4-wheel drive applications
Car Transmission Specifications
Light Truck Specifications:
If you’re looking for more information or a quote for your project send us your details and we’ll get back to you with a quote. Or call…