THE ALL-NEW MDL MODIFIED TREMEC TKX 5-SPEED FOR CORVETTE 1953-1967
Heavy Duty Five speed Single Overdrive Transmission
C1 1953-1962 & C2 1963-1967 – Chevrolet Corvette
NOTE: C1 Corvette requires fabrication of cross-member.
MDL mods bring shifter stub up in OE position
Click here to see what’s different
Gear Ratios 2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00, .68od
26 spline input, 31 spline output
click on the link below to see the installation article by: Jim Smart
TKX is the next generation in five speeds
With ALL NEW End-Loading Design
Which provides such advantages as:
- a slimmer case design for great tunnel clearance
- increased case strength, and fewer case seams.
All this and 8000 RPM shifting & 600lbs/ft. torque capacity
- Sintered carbon/bronze-Hybrid triple cone synchro’s
…with a non-leading tooth profile.
- Close gear ratio (2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00, .68) high-performance applications
- Utilizes GM TKO bolt pattern & 7.2″ length input shaft
(with a short input shaft option you can bolt to:
GM close pattern 3-4 speed bellhousings)
- 26-spline input shaft & a 31-spline output shaft for added strength.
- GM .590 pilot tip and 1.375″ OD throwout bearing guild tube.
- Robust design with an internal 3-rail shift system & steel shift forks.
- All gears & shafts are made from special grade steel (ASTM 4615) for the increased demands of today’s engines.
- Single-piece countershaft provides an increased torque carrying capacity.
- Tapered roller bearings on input, output & counter shafts improve performance
….(reducing noise factor) with a caged needle bearing on the main shaft.
- Equipped with an MDL high-performance short-throw billet aluminum shifter that isolates road noise, while providing clean crisp shifts.
…..(See more detail on the MDL shifter here)
- A new smaller mid-position shifter mounting base reduced the footprint
- Built-in reverse light switch on the left side
- The cruise control safety switch location on the right side of the TKX.
- The rear main-shaft support bushing moved from the tail closer to the gearbox provides better support.
- All mating surfaces are sealed with gaskets
If you are making over 400 hp and need an update from your four-speed this is the transmission for you.
We offer complete TKX five-speed packages
They are totally customizable.
Contact us today for a detailed quote.
Experience the MDL difference:
When you purchase a complete MDL Conversion Package you get
- We extend the manufacturer’s warranty by an extra year… with a 1-year grace period.
- We have the best in the industry customer service.
- lifetime technical support.
TKX offers even more:
- Three shifter locations are standard.
(For the Mid position, an additional kit is required)
- Ford Mechanical 7-tooth speedometer cable drive gear
- The reluctor wheel is 17 tooth.
- OSS two-wire Analog speedometer sensor built-in.
- Reduce engine rpm to a level that makes it fun to drive besides enhancing fuel efficiency.
For all Tremec TKX 5-Speed models, the recommended oils are
Amzoil ATF or Synchromesh
Tremec High-Performance manual transmission Fluid (HP-MTF)
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.
Fluid capacity is 2.7 quarts / 2.6 Liters.